Investigators: Child accidentally started apartment fire

By: KAKE News - Email
By: KAKE News - Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

WICHITA, Kan. — Investigators believe a child accidentally started a fire that severely damaged a Wichita apartment building.

The fire broke out shortly after 9 a.m. Tuesday in the 2200 block of East 1st Street near Madison. Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames showing from the apartments, and were forced to go defensive. The attic of the building eventually collapsed.

There were at least 6 units in the building, but no one was hurt. Red Cross was on scene to provide assistance to victims.

Fire investigators say a 4-year-old was playing with fire, most likely a lighter, in a bedroom of a ground-floor unit.

The fire caused $200,000 to the structure and $50,000 to contents. The roof was destroyed, and the rest of the building suffered heavy fire and water damage. It is likely a total loss.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 242405051 - kake.com/a?a=242405051