TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Topeka firefighters responded to a large fire in east Topeka late Thursday evening. Firefighters on the scene said it was caused by "improper use" of a kerosene heater.
Flames were shooting from the home in the 800 block of SE Bellview Ave. when fire crews got there shortly after 6:00 p.m., according to authorities.
One firefighter said the worst part of a fire like this is when the roof collapses and creates hot spots.
They said at least one woman was taken to the hospital. The injuries are reportedly non-life threatening.