UPDATE: Hutchinson woman injured in fire last week dies

By: Associated Press / KAKE News - Email
By: Associated Press / KAKE News - Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

HUTCHINSON, Kan. (AP) — A Hutchinson woman has died of injuries she suffered last week in a fire at a home.

Via Christi Medical Center St. Francis says 65-year-old Judy King died Tuesday.

Fire Chief Kim Forbes says King, who used a wheelchair, was injured after becoming trapped in the house during the June 18 blaze. Firefighters pulled her from the house and she was flown to Wichita.

Forbes says the fire was caused by a child who apparently poured lighter fluid on a chair on a porch and set it afire. The blaze was fueled by strong winds and quickly engulfed the home.

The Hutchinson News reports officials are working to get children in the home the care they need.


Previous KAKE News story - June 20, 2014:

Investigators say a fire that injured five people Wednesday, including four firefighters, was started by a child playing with a lighter.

The fire broke out shortly before 3 p.m. Wednesday in the 900 block of East Sherman. Firefighters who arrived first on scene found heavy fire in the front of the home and called for a second alarm response. They also learned someone may be trapped inside.

Firefighters were able to locate an elderly woman and brought her outside. She was flown to a Wichita hospital in critical condition. She's been identified as Judy King.

Two others who were inside the home made it outside safely.

Four firefighters were transported by EMS to an area hospital, but were quickly treated and released. One of them had suffered a back injury moving the woman from the home.

Investigators say the fire began on the front porch of the home. They say a child was playing with lighter fluid and a handheld lighter. Firefighters also had to deal with a propane tank on the front porch that added to the fire.

The home will most likely be a total loss.

The Hutchinson Fire Department is working with the Hutchinson Police Department and court services on the case. The fire department urges all parents to discuss the power of fire and the ramifications of playing with matches and lighters with their children.

Hutchinson House Fire


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 263700011 - kake.com/a?a=263700011