HUTCHINSON, Kan. -- An early-morning fire damaged a Hutchinson home Wednesday, marking the city's third house fire in a 14-hour period.
The home in the 1400 block of East Second Avenue caught fire around 1:00 a.m. The home owner was away at the time.
The cause of the fire isn't known, but a fire department statement says the front room has the worst damage.
The string of fires began at 12:18 p.m. Tuesday, when a house caught fire in the 600 block of East 11th Avenue. A fire department statement says careless smoking may have caused damage in an attic and garage.
Two people in the house were evacuated safely. Damage is estimated at $10,000.
Later in the day at 3:45 p.m., crews found smoke coming from attic vents at a home in the 1500 block of East Third Avenue. hat fire is blamed on electrical problems. It left damage to a laundry room ceiling.
No one was injured in any of the fires.