UPDATE: Child Dies In Fire Caused By Spliced Power Cord

By: KAKE.com Email
By: KAKE.com Email
More Video...

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Thursday, August 29, 2013

An electrical cord is blamed for a fire that killed a Wichita toddler.

Just before midnight, fire crews were dispatched to a home in the 1800 block of South Everett, and found smoke and flames coming from the home.

Fire Captain Stuart Bevis says that three occupants escaped. A 25-year old female, a 2-year-old female and an 8-month-old female were all taken to Via Christi hospital with minor burns and smoke inhalation.

One child wasn't able to make it out of the home. A 1 1/2-year-old boy was found dead on the couch in the front room. The fire started in the couch. The coroner's office will be conducting an autopsy and the case will remain under investigation until it's complete.

Bevis said the fire was caused by an electrical cord hooked to an air conditioning unit. The cord had been spliced, plugged into a power strip and then plugged into the wall with an extension cord. There was no smoke alarm in the home.

Hospital and police chaplains were called to the scene to help the family cope with their loss. Police used search dogs through the house as a part of their investigation.

Fire crews were able to bring the situation under control within 20 minutes. Crews believe there is $50,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents. The house is a total loss.

The boy is the fourth person to die in a fire in Wichita this year.

Check back here at KAKE.com and later newscasts throughout the day for updates..


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 221593891 - kake.com/a?a=221593891
Gray Television, Inc.