WICHITA, Kan. — Fire caused heavy damage to an abandoned home Thursday night in southwest Wichita.
Firefighters were called to the fire near S. Walnut and W. Marlboro. That's near 31st and S. Seneca. Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the structure.
Firefighters had to use extra caution when a power line fell near the building. Westar responded and shut off power.
Crews say the fire started in a vacant home that appeared to have been abandoned for some time. It was also in a location that made it difficult for firefighters to access.
There are reports of people playing with fireworks in the area, but firefighters can't say yet whether that was the cause.
The fire caused about $40,000 in damage.