Saturday, September 21, 2013
Firefighters are investigating a gas line fire in Overland Park, Kan., Friday night.
Witnesses heard loud noises before the flames sparked at 151st Street and Switzer Road.
Police officers blocked 151st Street from Switzer Road to Carter Road, and one home was evacuated.
A spokesperson for the Overland Park Fire Department said Atmos Gas reported a fire involving a gas line after the company’s crews were digging in the area and struck a 4-inch line.
The flow of gas was shut off, officials said, and firefighters extinguished the flames after 10 p.m.
The intersection remained closed while Kansas City Power and Light inspected possible damage to utility poles.
No injuries were reported.