UPDATE: Friday, July 5, 2013
A man who was injured by a firework in Hutchinson last night is improving.
John Link, 23, is in good condition at Via Christi Health St. Francis.
According to the Hutchinson Fire Department, two friends went to the city fireworks display after buying an illegal mortar. Shortly after 10 p.m. when the show was over, they lit their own mortar from the north side of the state fairgrounds. What happened after that is unclear, as investigators believe Link either fell on the mortar, or the mortar fell over before it went off. The firework struck Link in the thigh.
Investigators are still trying to piece together what exactly happened and are trying to track down his friend, who ran away after the incident occurred.
Thursday, July 4, 2013
One person was seriously injured in Hutchinson Thursday night while using fireworks.
Hutchinson Police confirm the injury occurred around 10:00 p.m. in the area of Random Road - perhaps on the Kansas State Fairgrounds, where a traditional fireworks show was held during the evening. The injured man was flown by helicopter to Via Christi Hospital in Wichita for treatment.
A police spokesman says a mortar went through the injured man's leg. The injury is described as so severe, the leg might not be salvageable.
"Alcohol was involved," the spokesman added.
The name of the victim has not been released.