Overnight fires damage 2 south Wichita homes

By: KAKE.com Email
By: KAKE.com Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

WICHITA, Kan. - A South Wichita homeowner is declaring a neighbor her "angel" for waking up her family when fire erupted early Wednesday. It was one of two early-morning fires on the south side.

Firefighters believe faulty wiring in an attic turned into flames around 5:20 a.m. in the 2400 block of South Bennett, near Osage Park.

Because the fire started in the attic, the flames had not yet triggered a smoke detector below. But an attentive neighbor noticed trouble and woke the family by knocking on the door. No one was injured.

"Oh my gosh he's my hero I gave him a big hug," said homeowner Christina Noonan. "What a miracle, you know, that he smelled the smoke and he came pounding on the door."

An earlier fire broke out around 3:45 a.m. in the 4800 block of South Fern Circle. Firefighters were able to limit the damage to the garage.

Firefighters believe the first fire resulted from 12-hour-old hot coals being tossed in a trash can.

The same fire battalion responded to both fires, because the scenes were about three miles apart. Crew members say it's a situation they're prepared for.

"Before we leave the scene, we'll have the engine ready for the next one so if we get a fire on the way back to the station we'll be ready to go," said Captain Mike Mckernan.

Both homes did have working smoke detectors.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 235385531