UPDATE: Overloaded power strip cause of early-morning fire

By: KAKE.com Email
By: KAKE.com Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

WICHITA, Kan. - An overloaded power strip has been determined to be the cause of a fire early Monday morning in East Wichita.

Crews were called to a building located at 2320 East Douglas just after midnight on the report of a fire. The building housed several businesses and apartments.

Wichita Fire Investigations Captain Stu Bevis tells KAKE News that the fire was contained mostly to a single apartment and caused around $40,000 in damage.

No injuries were reported.


Previous Story:

Several units of a two-story Wichita building have damage from a late-night fire.

Firefighters were called shortly before midnight to the House building, on East Douglas near Grove. The first floor of the building has had a law office and salon over the years, and fire crews were able to limit the damage to that floor.

But second-floor apartments have smoke damage, and Battalion Chief John Turner admitted to KAKE there was concern fires might be hidden there.

"We have an older building," Turner said. "We have metal ceilings that are tacked on to wood." Those factors forced crews to take a little more time to check for hidden problems.

The American Red Cross helped apartment residents find other places to spend the night.

No one was injured. There was no immediate word about how the fire started.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 253182491 - kake.com/a?a=253182491