WICHITA, Kan. — Those yearning for Stroud's chicken will have to get their appetite satisfied elsewhere for a couple weeks. A kitchen fire is keeping the doors closed a short while.
Crews were called to Stroud's near 37th and North Hillside around 10:15 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters say a grease fire developed on a stove, and spread through the kitchen and up a ventilator.
Stroud's General Manager Kevin Allis says, "Of course you've got kitchens and you're going to have fires. We do have a fire suppression system. It did activate but unfortunately it didn't extinguish the fire."
Allis and staff are working to get the restaurant back open as soon as possible. Allis says, "Last night it looked a lot worse. We've got some daylight today and it's not that bad. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we can be back open."
At one point, a small fire was reported on the roof of the building. But crews brought the fire under control in about 10 minutes.
Deputy Fire Chief Tammy Snow says the damage could have been much worse, but a passerby saw flames shooting from the roof and dialed 911.
"They're going to have to spend some time going back through and renovating it, doing some in the cooking area," Snow told reporters. "They'll be out of business for several days."
Most of the damage appears to be inside the restaurant, as the outside has little damage. No dollar estimate was available Thursday morning.
Stroud's posted a Facebook message hours after the fire thanking crews for saving the building, and confirming no one was injured. The last employee apparently left the restaurant 30 minutes before the fire broke out.
The Stroud's website indicates the restaurant opened in Wichita in 1993, after 60 years in the Kansas City area. It's normally open only four hours a day on Monday through Thursday evenings, closing at 9:00 p.m.