Fire damages SE Sedgwick County home

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

WICHITA, Kan. -- A fire in the 1700 block of south Butternut near Harry and 143rd east cause around $60,000 in damage to a garage and the contents inside.

Fire crews were called around 10:30 p.m. to the home in the Hunters Pointe neighborhood. When they arrived, they found a garage engulfed in flames.

Battalion Chief John Turner said flames could be seen over two miles away. According to him, the home owners were not home at the time of the fire.

The fire was contained to the attached garage, the only damage to the interior of the home was caused by smoke.

Chief Turner says that garage fires are especially dangerous because they can go so long without being reported because most homes do not have smoke alarms in the garage area.

There are no injuries to report with this fire, but the family's dog died.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 256865351 - kake.com/a?a=256865351