Friday, August 23, 2013
When an accidental fire started Thursday night, it may be the family's actions that kept everyone safe.
The fire started around 11:40 p.m. at 1827 West Irving.
Two people were getting ready for bed when they saw fire in their bedroom. They rushed out to warn the two adults and two children staying in a traveling trailer near the fire.
When Wichita Fire Department arrived, the victims were already outside of the home. Firefighters did a quick search in the home but could then focus on containing the fire.
Several pets were rescued from the home and yard. But one cat and one dog did not survive.
Today fire investigators determined a power strip with many devices plugged in started the electric fire. Fire Captain Stu Bevis said power strips that are more than 10 years old should be thrown away.
The home has severe smoke and heat damage. The home has $60,000 in damage. The contents are a $30,000 loss. The south part of the roof is gone, blinds are melted and even a tree in the back yard is damaged.
American Red Cross volunteers helped the family last night providing food, infant care, formula, clean clothes and a place to stay. The family is staying in a hotel.
Investigators have determined an overnight fire that heavily damaged a south Wichita home was started accidentally.
Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis says the fire in the 1800 block of West Irving appears to have been caused by an overloaded power strip in a bedroom. He says the fire caused approximately $90,000 in damage to the structure and its contents.
Bevis says all the residents were able to get out of the home safely but one adult was taken to the hospital for an unrelated medical issue.
A home received extensive fire damage Thursday night in the 1800 block of West Irving, on Wichita's southwest side. Two people inside the home were injured.
Wichita Fire crews were called to the area around 11:40 p.m. Early reports from the scene indicated the fire took a dangerous turn at one point. Firefighters prevented the flames from spreading to a trailer next door. But daylight revealed much of the roof of the house was gone.
Early indications suggest electrical problems led to the fire, but that also remains unconfirmed.