KAKE | Wichita, Kansas | News, Weather, & Sports

Dog Saves Owner From Burning Home

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Friday, December 28, 2012

The fire in the west Wichita home hot enough to burn through this wall of Jason Anderson's bedroom where he was fast asleep.

He would have been a fire fatality right here had it not been for his dog waking him up. "I was pretty much passed out in bed and she came and stuck that cold nose up in my face." says Anderson.

The cold nose probably never felt any better to Anderson. The huskie-pit bull mix named Nakita saved her master's life. "No I wouldn't be here if it weren't for her. I'd be a crispy critter."

The fire happened Thursday afternoon inside Anderson's Delano neighborhood home in West Wichita. Anderson is up at night so he was asleep when the fire broke out and says he had no clue until Nakita woke him up.

"It was black as midnight inside that house. I couldn't see anything. I could see one thing, the fire in the back of the house. That's about all I could see." Anderson says at first he thought he might be able to put out the fire, but quickly changed his mind.

The fire started near the staircase next to his bedroom and was caused by discarded ashes. Anderson says his two cats did not survive.

For saving his master's life, Anderson says she'll be treated like a queen for the rest of her life.


KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 185113601 - kake.com/a?a=185113601