August 27, 2012
Wilson County investigators are releasing additional information about a large grass fire that burned last week south of Fredonia.
Firefighters concentrated efforts to save 6 homes in the direct path of the fire. Firefighters were able to save 5 of the homes. The Carl Claus home at 10491 Lane Road was destroyed. Several outbuildings in the area were also destroyed. There are no reports of serious injuries, but at least two firefighters were treated briefly for smoke inhalation and heat.
An estimated 28 electrical poles were destroyed. 315 round bales of hay were lost in the fire with a value of $30,000
Approximately 8.25 miles of fencing was destroyed, with an estimated replacement value of over $123,000. There are several oil and gas wells in the affected area, with an unknown amount of damage.
Investigators believe that since the fire originated near Highway 400 in a construction zone where traffic was stopped, it may have been started by a discarded cigarette, although the exact cause may never be verified.