WICHITA, Kan. -- A man is lucky to be alive after his east Wichita home caught fire Thursday evening.
Firefighters were called just after 9 p.m. to the 200 block of North Spruce, near 1st and Grove.
When they arrived on scene, they found smoke and flames shooting from the rear of the home.
A man who lives at the home was unaware his house was ablaze until a neighbor rushed over to alert him. The fire was reportedly brought under control around 9:30 p.m.
Firefighters said the home has no working utilities or smoke detectors, and a generator may be to blame for the fire.
Damage to the home was estimated at $30,000.