UPDATE: Thursday, April 11, 2013
Wichita firefighters will monitor TreatCo throughout the night as a small fire continues to burn inside one of the complex's buildings.
The fire broke out shortly after 2:30 p.m. Thursday at TreatCo, located in the 2300 block of N. Broadway. Heavy black smoke could be seen rising from the buildings.
Firefighters say four people were inside when the fire began. They say those four people were welding when sparks caught the Styrofoam insulation on fire. Crews say the four people tried to put out the fire but weren't able to and called 911.
All four people made it out of the building safely.
When firefighters responded, they found heavy black smoke coming from the buildings. They say the smoke was so heavy and black because of the Styrofoam insulation that was burning.
But it wasn't only the heavy smoke that made fighting the fire a challenge.
The city engineer told firefighters much of the building is structurally unsafe, in part because of a previous fire at TreatCo in June 2011. That fire burned for nearly two weeks.
Because of the those structural problems and the heavy black smoke, fire crews couldn't go inside the building. Instead, they used heavy water streams from up high to battle the flames.
While fighting the fire, crews ran into a water supply issue. The city water department showed up on scene and helped turn on a couple fire hydrants to help firefighters in their efforts.
Firefighters say there is some good news.
They say this fire has been much easier to access than the one they fought in June 2011 at the same complex. But they say, they'll keep units on scene throughout the night because they still expect the fire to burn for hours more.
Thursday, April 11, 2013
Wichita firefighters are battling a fire at a business in north Wichita.
The fire broke out shortly after 2:30 Thursday afternoon at TreatCo, located at 2300 N. Broadway.
Crews who first arrived on the scene reported heavy smoke showing. Additional firefighters have been requested for a two-alarm response and crews have gone defensive.
Check back for updates.
TreatCo also caught fire in June of 2011, an ordeal which lasted about two weeks. Click here for that story.