Wednesday, July 3, 2013
An eight-year-old boy was transported to the hospital with serious burns Wednesday night. But after first blaming them on stray fireworks, officers now say the child lied.
Officers were called shortly before 9:30 p.m. to the 2000 block of South Fieldcrest near Kellogg and Maize Road. Radio traffic between EMS and the hospital indicated the boy was taking trash to a dumpster when a stray firework struck a can containing flammable liquid.
Officers say at first the child blamed the fireworks - but then no traces of fireworks were found at the scene. At that point, the child admitted he was lying. The burns actually were caused by children playing with matches near a gas can.
The boy's aunt says the kids were re-enacting a popular video game called Minecraft. She says they were making torches, similar to what are used in the game.
"I'm not blaming the video game, but kids will be kids I guess, they have crazy imaginations," Aunt Carol Elaine said. "But this lesson is learned we've got to keep stuff out the reach of the kids and keep an eye on them a little bit closer."
The child suffered burns to his leg and he is currently in fair condition at the hospital.