Careless smoking blamed for east Wichita fire

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

WICHITA -- Investigators blame a carelessly discarded cigarette for a fire Saturday at an east Wichita triples.

Firefighters were called to the 400 block of Bleckley Drive near Central and Oliver just after 4 p.m.

Hot and windy conditions made an already tough job even tougher. Tonight, four adult residents are looking for a new place to stay.

Battalion Chief Joe Bickel says all three units will probably be uninhabitable for the next several weeks.

He says damage is estimated at about $60,000 to the structure, and another $15,000 to contents. The Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents. One firefighter suffered slight burn injuries when a hot ember went down his sleeve.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 272442801 - kake.com/a?a=272442801