UPDATED: Careless Smoking Blamed For Apartment Fire In W. Wichita

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

UPDATE: Thursday, June 20, 2013

Careless smoking is blamed for a fire at a west Wichita apartment complex.

It happened shortly before 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Aspen Park Apartments near Central and Tyler. Wichita Fire Captain Robert Dusenbery said smoke and flames were visible when crews arrived on scene.

The fire started on a the balcony of an apartment when fire investigators say someone discarded a cigarette butt into a ceramic container with combustibles inside. A fire began, then worked its way into the attic space of the building. Dusenbery says three units were damaged, and 12 other apartments are without power for the night.

Damage is estimated at $140,000 to the building and its contents. Fire officials say every apartment in the affected building suffered damage from fire, smoke or water. No one was hurt.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 212252591 - kake.com/a?a=212252591