June 17, 2013
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued a boil water advisory for the City of Medicine Lodge.
The city water supply has experienced a loss of chlorine residual in the distribution system due to a malfunction in the chlorine injection system. When such a loss of pressure occurs, it is possible for contaminants to enter the system. Chlorine residuals may also drop to levels that are inadequate to protect against bacterial contamination.
Effective immediately, customers should observe the following precautions until further notice:
•Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation, or use bottled water.
•Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.
•Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.
•Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.
•If your tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.