Thursday, June 13, 2013
A public health warning has been issued after toxic algae was discovered in three Kansas lakes.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has confirmed the presence of blue-green algae in Logan City Lake, located in Phillips County, Marion Reservoir in Marion County, and Memorial Park Lake (Veteran's Lake) in Barton County.
When a warning is issued, the KDHE recommends the following precautions be taken:
· Humans, pets and livestock do not drink lake water
· Water contact is prohibited. Avoid swimming, wading or other activities with full body contact of lake water
· Clean fish and rinse with clean water, consume only the fillet portion, and discard all other parts
· Do not allow pets to eat dried algae
· If lake water contacts skin or pet fur, wash with clean potable water as soon as possible
· Avoid areas of visible algae accumulation
No other Kansas lakes are currently under warning or advisory.