UPDATE: Gasoline, Space Heater Spark Wichita Fire

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email
More Video...

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

April 12, 2013

Two brothers working on a scooter were injured in a fire in South Wichita Thursday. Fire crews responded to the fire in the 1500 block of Amsden after 7:00 p.m.

Investigators said the brothers were working on a gas powered scooter when some of the gas spread to a space heater, sparking the fire.

One of the men remains in the hospital in critical condition. The other has been released from the hospital.

The fire caused nearly $100,000 damage.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Two people suffered critical injuries Thursday evening in a south Wichita house fire.

The fire was reported around 7:20 p.m. in the 1500 block of Amsden Street, near Pawnee and Hydraulic. Battalion Chief Andy Cole said crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames emanating from the one-story home. Power lines were also down in the backyard.

Due to the fire's intensity, crews were forced to battle it defensively for a short time.

"The fire got so bad, we made a call to pull the guys out," Cole said.

Two people who got out of the home were taken an area hospital in critical condition. One firefighter suffered a minor burn to his face.

The fire was brought under control around 7:40 p.m.

The cause of the fire and a damage estimate have yet to be determined, but Cole said the home appears to be a total loss.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 202621541 - kake.com/a?a=202621541
Gray Television, Inc.