Wichita, Kan.-- A fire at a west Wichita apartment complex has left behind significant damage.
It happened around 5 p.m. at the Raintree Apartments complex located at 777 N. Silver Springs. When crews arrived on scene they found heavy smoke and flames coming from an apartment inside building #20.
Flames went into the attic space and spread throughout the building. Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control in about 20 minutes after arriving on scene.
The cause of the fire has been traced to a discarded cigarette. Damage is estimated at $600,000.
Residents who have been displaced by the fire are being assisted by the Red Cross.