Two Wichita State University students are planning to sue the university after they say they almost died from pesticides used to kill bed bugs.
Pat Stepanek and her son Brian were living in the Wheatshocker Apartments last spring when they realized their room was infested with bed bugs. WSU immediately called a pest control company and it started treating the problem. That's when Pat and Brian say they started getting sick, " I started having problems with lightheadeness and both Brian and I had become nauseous. It reached the point on my way to class I had such problems breathing that I had to stop at health services"
She says her doctor told her the problems were because of over exposure to pesticides. Now she and Brian are planning on sueing the university for health costs and the costs of their belongings they claim are still infested with the bugs.
WSU says they did everything right. They did not over expose the residents to pesticides and their items are not infested with bed bugs. "I believe our staff acted professionally. In my review I could find nothing that wasn't handled correctly," says Ron Kopita from Wichita State. He says the university reimbursed Stepanek for her mattresses and gave them a better place to live.
Stepanek and her son plan to file suit sometime in the next few weeks.