Explosion Injury

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

A Butler County teenager was critically burned when a homemade concoction exploded.

Butler County fire officials say the 14-year-old boy and a 15-year-old friend were trying to create their own version of a fireworks display yesterday in a rural area near Wichita.

They poured propane, gasoline, lighter fluid and other fuels in a barrel. The boys then apparently dropped a small firecracker in the barrel to ignite the mixture.

The 14-year-old boy received first and third degree burns on his face, arms and legs, when the mixture exploded in a flash fire. He was taken by helicopter to a Wichita hospital, where his condition has improved to serious.

The 15-year-old boy was treated at the scene for minor injuries.


KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 50196 - kake.com/a?a=50196