UPDATE: Monday, July 2, 2012
A Wichita business will hold a fundraiser for a local family who lost their home in a fire.
It happened in the 1200 block of Glendale Street just after 3:15 a.m. Sunday.
Crews arrived to find heavy fire coming from the front of the home. Two victims were also outside suffering from burn injuries and smoke inhalation. A 37-year-old woman and her 2-year-old son were taken to a Wichita hospital for treatment. They are both listed in serious condition.
Investigators said the fire was started by discarded fireworks left near the home.
HuHot Mongolian Grill will be hosting a fundraiser for the family Tuesday, July 3. Ten percent of all sales between 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. will be donated. Proceeds will benefit housing, food and clothing expenses.
A collection jar will also be available.
Sunday, July 1, 2012
A mother and her 2-year-old son have suffered serious burns in a northeast Wichita house fire. Crews were called to the 1200 block of Glendale Street just after 3:15 a.m.
Upon arrival, crews saw heavy fire at the front of the home. No one was found inside the home, but once the fire was under control, two victims were located outside.
Wichita Fire Capt. Chip Froome says, "A mother and her 2-year-old son were inside the house...they heard a crackling and popping. They were able to escape the structure."
A friend happened to be driving by, saw the two outside, and called 911.
Both were taken to the St. Francis Burn Center. The 37-year-old mother was in serious condition. The toddler was in critical but stable condition. They were also being treated for smoke inhalation.
Investigators say the fire was started by discarded fireworks and is believed to be accidental. Damage to the house and its contents is estimated at $60,000.