Turkey Fryer Causes Topeka Fire

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

A turkey fryer sparked a fire that caused $40,000 of damage to a Topeka home.

Deep-fried turkey is a Southern specialty that requires submerging the Thanksgiving main course in boiling oil. It's gaining popularity nationwide despite warnings the process could pose a fire hazard.

Battalion Chief Gene Beethe says no one was hurt in the blaze.

The fire ignited as the family was cooking a deep-fried turkey in the house's attached garage.

Beethe says the family left the house and called for help after hearing an apparent explosion of the propane burner. He says there was fire damage to the garage, an adjoining room and the house's attic. And there was heat and smoke damage throughout the house.

KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 160677 - kake.com/a?a=160677
Gray Television, Inc.