Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
United Way of the Plains is taking calls this week to set up appointments for the Laid-Off Workers Center’s June session.
To set up an appointment, individuals must call United Way’s information number by dialing 2‑1‑1 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (this is a toll-free number). The deadline to call for an appointment for the April session is Friday, May 25. The center will be open on a monthly basis as needed beyond March.
To qualify for help through the Laid-Off Workers Center, laid-off workers must:
- Pre-register to set up an appointment by calling United Way’s information number 2-1-1;
- Have been laid off and approved for unemployment compensation sometime since October 1, 2008 (not fired, quit, or on medical leave);
- Show that they have emergency financial needs and have insufficient personal resources to adequately provide food, clothing and/or shelter; and
- Have been laid off from a job in Sedgwick, Butler or Sumner counties, or lived in those counties at the time of the layoff, between Oct. 1, 2008, and the present.
Services at the Laid-Off Workers Center include:
- Emergency financial assistance for those who qualify (mortgage/rent, electric, gas and water). Checks will be written directly to the lender, landlord or utility company.
- Budget and debt management counseling
- Help applying for government programs
- Job training and job search assistance
- Continuing education information
- Food assistance
- Community volunteering information
- On-site child care services during the appointment