Via Christi Suspends Kidney Transplants After Deaths

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Friday, June 1, 2012

Via Christi is suspending kidney transplants after four patients who had transplants died within three weeks of each other.

“While our Kidney Transplant program has the largest waiting list and our post-transplant and graft survival rates for the most recent reporting period are some of the best in its 30-year history, we experienced four deaths and one graft failure within a three-week period among patients who had been transplanted within the past 12 months,” said Dr. Steve Nesbit, chief medical officer for Via Christi Health’s Wichita hospitals, in a news release.

The Via Christi Transplant Institute has chosen to suspend kidney transplants. They are not accepting organs for transplant or adding new patients to the waiting list while the program undergoes review.

“Our internal reviews have not pointed to a common cause among these patients, whose length of time from transplant and causes of death are varied,” said Nesbit.

Officials say the program will undergo a complete review, which could take several months or more.

The program will continue to offer post-transplant care.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 156472015 - kake.com/a?a=156472015
Gray Television, Inc.