KAKE - Health - Headlines

Four Kansans hospitalized by carbon monoxide poisoning

By: KAKE.com Email
By: KAKE.com Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. Four Kansans have been hospitalized because of a health problem which alarms can prevent.

Warming up your car in a closed garage can increase the risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. There was a case like that in Overland Park Wednesday morning. Firefighters found carbon monoxide readings 40 times above safe levels. First responders say a vehicle running in a closed garage spread the gas.

Lt. Scott Finazzo with the Overland Park Fire Department says a CO detector could have alerted the family to trouble. "Smoke detectors obviously will detect the presence of smoke and fire in the home, and carbon monoxide detectors detect more of what they call the silent killer."

Firefighters say you can prevent trouble not only with those detectors, but by having your furnace inspected once a year.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 230976271 - kake.com/a?a=230976271