Lettuce Wraps With Ranchey Almonds
I head iceberg lettuce (romaine may be used)
1/4 cup almonds, toasted and sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning mix, divided
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
2/3 cup broccoli crowns, separated into small crowns
2/3 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup cranberries, dried
3/4 cup chicken, cooked and chopped (canned chicken or rotisserie chicken may be used)
Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing (for dipping)
1. Core head of lettuce. Place in bowl of ice water for 1 to 2 hours or until outer leaves can be easily removed. Pat leaves dry with paper towels and place in refrigerator until ready to fill.
2. Prepare Ranchey Almonds by coating almonds with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning mix. Bake in a single layer at 400 degrees for 6 minutes. Toss and bake another 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
3. For filling, combine cream cheese and butter in medium bowl.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing & Seasoning mix to the cream cheese mixture.
5. Stir in milk.
6. Gently fold in broccoli crowns, chopped carrots and dried cranberries.
7. Fold in cooked, chopped chicken until well coated.
8. Place a large spoon full of chicken filling at the stem end of each lettuce leaf.
9. Sprinkle with Ranchey Almonds.
10. Tuck sides of lettuce in as you roll the leaf over the filling.
11. Serve immediately with a side of Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing for dipping.
Submitted by Chuckie Hessong of Pittsburg, KS, 2nd Place at the
2009 Kansas State Fair.