How to freeze fresh Tomatoes for the Winter
*NOTE* I only have used home grown or farmers market tomatoes.
1) Simmer whole tomatoes in water in saucepan until the skins crack and can be easily peeled (about ten minutes).
(burner should be turned on medium to medium-high)
2) Remove tomatoes with slotted spoon
3) Place in large dish to cool.
4) When cool, peel and core the tomatoes.
5) Chop tomatoes into approximately 1/2 inch pieces.
6) Measure out two cups of the tomatoes (along with some of the juice) and pour into ziploc bag.
7) I like to add a few fresh basil leaves and maybe some chopped fresh garlic.
8) Zip and lay flat in freezer. When ready to use on a cold Winter's weekend ....just defrost!!!