Yields: 24 sandwiches
Cooking Time: 10 min
1 (18.25-ounce) white cake mix
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 drop each red, yellow, and green food color
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, and eggs; beat well. Divide batter into 3 separate bowls, then add a different food color to each bowl to make pastel red, yellow, and green cake batter; mix well. Drop tablespoons of batter onto baking sheets in an oval shape.
3. Bake 7 to 8 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. In a saucepan, combine milk and flour; cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it forms a thick paste. Let cool.
5. In a medium bowl, beat together sugar and shortening until fluffy; stir in vanilla then cooled flour mixture, and beat until doubled in volume. Turn half the cooled cakes over on their backs; spoon each with a dollop of filling. Cover with remaining cakes, forming sandwiches.