Preparation Time:20 min
Cooking Time:20 min
1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups vegetable shortening
1. Place chicken in a large bowl and add enough water to cover. Add 2 teaspoons salt and soak chicken 20 minutes.
2. In a shallow dish, combine flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; mix well. Place buttermilk in another shallow dish.
3. Remove chicken from water and dip in flour mixture, coating completely. Dip chicken in buttermilk then in flour mixture again, coating all sides.
4. In a large soup pot, heat shortening over medium-low heat until hot but not smoking, about 300 degrees F.
5. Place coated chicken in soup pot in batches and fry 8 to 10 minutes per side, or until golden and juices run clear. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and serve immediately.