Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:
Tangy rhubarb and sweet ruby red strawberries make for a tasty marriage of flavors in our old fashioned Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Whether you use fresh or frozen rhubarb, this one is always a year-round favorite.
Cooking Time: 30 min
What You'll Need:
- 1 quart strawberries, washed, hulled, and quartered
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts, at room temperature
- 1 cup cubed fresh rhubarb (see Note)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; mix well until sugar dissolves.
- Unfold one pie crust and place in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate, pressing crust firmly into pie plate.
- Place remaining pie crust on a work surface and using the plastic cap of a soda bottle, cut 8 to 10 circles from the center, forming polka dots, and leaving a 2-inch border around the edges.
- Add rhubarb, flour, and butter to strawberry mixture; mix well and spoon into pie crust. Place cut-out crust over strawberry mixture. Pinch together and trim edges to seal, then flute, if desired.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Allow to cool slightly before serving, or chill until ready to serve.
Note: If fresh rhubarb is not in season, you can substitute a cup of frozen rhubarb that you've thawed and drained.