Makes: 2 dozen
Preparation Time:10 min
Chilling Time: 1 hr
Cooking Time:20 min
• 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
• 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• 3 tablespoons bacon bits
• 12 fresh jalapeno peppers, split in half lengthwise, cutting through stems, seeds removed
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1/2 cup bread crumbs
• Vegetable oil for frying
1. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, and bacon bits. Firmly press a heaping teaspoonful of cheese mixture into each pepper half. Cover and chill 1 hour.
2. Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 separate shallow dishes. Dip stuffed pepper halves into flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs, coating thoroughly with each.
3. Fill a large saucepan or soup pot with 2 inches of oil and heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Carefully fry a few peppers at a time, 1 to 3 minutes, or until golden. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately