Mashed potatoes in cookies? Unbelievable? Sshhh, let's keep the
secret to these can't-get-enough-of-'em Chocolate Potato Cookies
until everybody taste 'em!
Makes: about 4-1/2 dozen cookies
Cooking Time: 10 min
What You'll Need:
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon almond extract
• 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
• 1/2 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes, at room temperature
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
• 1 (16-ounce) container chocolate fudge frosting
• 1/4 cup nonpareil candies
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat baking sheets with
2. In a large bowl, cream together brown sugar and
shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and almond
extract, mixing well. Add melted chocolate and mashed
potatoes, beating until smooth.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
Alternately add flour mixture and milk to brown sugar
mixture, stirring until smooth. Mix in nuts. Drop by rounded
teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
4. Bake 10 minutes, or until cookies spring back when
touched lightly with a finger. Remove cookies from oven
and wait 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool
slightly. Frost warm cookies and sprinkle with nonpareils.