Wednesday, January 16, 2013
A one-year-old girl is recovering at home after a crochet hook got stuck near her throat on Tuesday afternoon.
"It happened in a second. It could've been so much worse," said Kristin Hammer, mother.
Hammer's 5-year-old son was playing with a ball inside their home in South Wichita. At the same time, her one-year-old daughter, Donna Jo, had gotten a hold of a crochet hook.
"I saw my daughter with the crochet hook so I leaned to grab her and right as she got into my arms, my son kicks the ball at me and it just went smack right in her face," said Hammer.
The mother realized the hook was stuck in her daughter' mouth and appeared to be lodged in her throat. She immediately called 911 and it turned out that the crochet hook was stuck in the baby's gum and cheek area.
Hammer wants to warn parents of the dangers of sharp objects.
"That's how she got mine down. I had it stuck in the yarn but the string was hanging down. So, make sure it's all way up," she said.