Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Anthony Cantu is headed back to prison.
The 23-year-old was sentenced Wednesday to more than seven years for the attempted kidnapping of a Derby boy last year, a crime that was all caught on camera.
In court, Cantu apologized.
"I regret my actions," Cantu told Judge Ben Burgess. "I should not have been anywhere near children younger than me."
KAKE News first told you about Cantu in October, when a judge allowed the release of video showing Cantu - a previously convicted sex offender - escorting a child away from his mother and towards the front doors of a Derby video game store. At one point, Cantu becomes distracted, and the boy returns to his mother.
Since that time, Cantu reached a plea deal with prosecutors. In the agreement, he admits his attempts to kidnap the boy were sexually motivated. In addition to prison, he must re-register as a sex offender.
As a juvenile, records show Cantu was convicted of two other sex crimes. His previous victims were three and seven years old. Until this most recent case, the KBI listed Cantu as a properly registered and compliant sex offender.
Cantu was sentenced to serve time with the state's Juvenile Justice Authority for the previous crimes. He was eventually placed on conditional release, similar to parole, with instructions he was to remain under the state's supervision until his 23rd birthday.
But officials say a "clerical miscalculation" led to the early termination of that supervision. At the time of the Derby incident, Cantu thought he was no longer being supervised when, in fact, he should have been.
The Juvenile Justice Authority has since taken steps to make sure a similar mistake never happens again. Last November, a spokesperson for the Dept. of Corrections told KAKE News all discharge dates are now double-checked for accuracy.
After his arrest for attempted kidnapping, Cantu was sentenced to five years for violating the terms of his parole in his other cases.
Cantu's attorneys are currently appealing that sentence based on the confusion caused by the JJA's mistaken early release. Even if it is overturned, Cantu still must serve more than seven years for the attempted kidnapping.