Solvents Blamed For Fire At Wichita Landmark

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Solvents are blamed for a fire that destroyed a Wichita landmark.

The fire at the Comley Neff historic home in the 1100 block of North Broadway broke out at 8:00 p.m. Tuesday.

Chris Ford has been remodeling the old Comley home and says he was just a month away from finishing it

"We were looking forward to moving in and opening it up to the public for others to enjoy it too," said Ford who bought the home two years ago.

Investigators said the fire started in some rags that were soaked with stains and solvents. The building owner was using the rags for remodeling work.

The chemicals caused the rags to spontaneously combust. The fire burned in the floor then into the wall and finally up to the attic.

Damage estimated at $100,000

The home was built in 1899 for Henry Comley, a prominent Wichita businessman.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 41068342 - kake.com/a?a=41068342