UPDATE: Man Convicted Of Capital Murder In Dollar General Shootings

By: Lily Wu - Email
By: Lily Wu - Email
More Video...

UPDATE: Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A jury has found a Wichita man guilty of murdering two people at a Dollar General store late last year.

This afternoon, 19-year-old Marquis Marshall was found guilty of capital murder in the deaths of 22-year-old Zachary Hunt and 79-year-old Henry Harvey.

Hunt and Harvey were shot to death at a Dollar General store at 13th and Oliver on November 30.

Since the district attorney's office did not seek the death penalty, Marshall faces a possible sentence of life without the possibility of parole. His sentencing hearing is scheduled for November 20.

KAKE's Parrish Alleman was in the courtroom during today's proceedings. Watch later KAKE newscasts for more.

Previous story:

UPDATE: Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The capital trial against 19-year-old Marquis Marshall began today. The district attorney's office declined to pursue the death penalty.

Marshall is accused of shooting and killing two people at a Dollar General Store located at 13th and Oliver on November 30, 2012.

During the first day of the trial, the state's prosecution team presented key evidence including store surveillance video from the shooting and fingerprints that were left behind by the shooter.

"This case is about one shooter, with one gun, 6 shots, and two men dead," said Prosecutor Justin Edwards. "A plain, straight-forward simple case."

Video showed the shooter trying to exit the store through the entrance door which only opens in one direction. The shooter is seen using his left hand to open the door and realizes it is the wrong door.

Crime scene investigators were able to get palm and finger prints from the glass door.

"Matte acetate card 2A was identified as the left ring finger of Marquis J. Marshall and latent 2B was identified as the left middle finger of Marquis J. Marshall," said Mindy Craig, latent print examiner for the Wichita Police Dept.

The victims were 22-year-old Zachary Hunt, an employee, and 79-year-old Henry Harvey, who was at the counter making a purchase.

Two days after the shooting, Marshall was arrested during a traffic stop and charged with two counts of capital murder.

The trial will resume tomorrow at 9 a.m. in Judge Ben Burgess' courtroom and Judge Warren Wilbert will continue presiding in this trial.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 225966101 - kake.com/a?a=225966101
Gray Television, Inc.