KAKE - Find It - Tuesday Headlines

Fire Empties Wichita Motel

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Guests at a west Wichita motel were forced out overnight after a fire erupted in one of the rooms.

Wichita Fire Marshal Ed Bricknell said shortly before 3 a.m., guests woke up to heavy smoke at the Stratford House Inns in the 5500 Blk. of W. Kellogg. That's when one of the guests called 911.

"Whatever started it, it started in a bit of hurry," said guest Kirian Lewis. "It flashed real fast."

When fire crews arrived, they found two rooms on the first and second floor on fire. Heavy smoke and flames were pouring out of the bottom one. A second alarm was called at that time, and the fire was out within 10 minutes.

Bricknell said the motel did not have working smoke detectors or sprinklers. No one was hurt in the fire..


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 36874964 - kake.com/a?a=36874964