Thursday, November 18, 2010
Arriving early to the airport and limiting the amount of metal carried are some of the tips for a smooth holiday travel season.
The Wichita Transportation Security Administration implemented the standard or enhanced pat down about a month ago at Mid-Continent Airport.
"Helps us get folks through a little bit quicker because if you don't ring off then we don't do the pat down procedure on a random basis that we used to do," said Keith Osborn, Transportation Security Administration official.
Security guards used to perform random pat downs. Now, travelers that set off the metal detector several times, will be subject to the standard pat down.
A spokesperson for Mid-Continent Airport said that the heaviest travel days will be Nov. 24 and 26-28. They recommend the following measures to get through security and to gates quicker.
Before arriving to the airport:
- Try to check-in online
- Check that the name on ID matches the name on ticket
- 3-1-1 rule for liquid carry-ons (3 oz containers, 1 qt size bag)
At the airport:
- Try to arrive 90 minutes before departure
- Remove metal objects, jackets, and shoes at security
- Separate liquids and electronics into bins