Thursday, September 8, 2011
A memorial ceremony on the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks will be held at Ground Zero on Sunday. KAKEland viewer Amy Noland received an email last week that said first responders on that tragic day are not invited to the ceremony. She wants to know if that's true. Good question.
When the terror began on September 11, 2001, they were the first on the scene. The firefighters, emergency medical service units, police officers, and other emergency personnel. But news that those first responders are not invited to the 10th anniversary ceremony at Ground Zero Sunday, has many asking if this can be true?
Actually, it is. According to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, there just isn't enough room to accommodate everyone. The space is apparently limited, and there are an estimated 3,000 men and women first responders.
During the ceremony, two memorial pools will be unveiled in the footprints of the towers. Names of those who lost their lives, including first responders, will be displayed carved in bronze plaques.
This ceremony, according to organizers, will focus on the victims' family members. Bloomberg's office also says that they are working on ways to honor first responders at a different time and place.
If you have a good question, send it to me at email@example.com. I'll do my best to answer your good question every Thursday on KAKE News at 6.