March 3rd, 2011
An afternoon house fire leaves a Butler County family without a home.
The fire broke out just before noon at a home east of Douglass on 215th Street. No one was hurt in the blaze, but fire investigators believe the home is a total loss.
The initial call came from a passerby, worried about the family and the three young kids who lived in the home.
"It came in as a possible entrapment. Ended up the occupants to the house left about 10:30 and were not home at the time of the fire," said Fire Chief John Ford, Butler County Fire Department.
On arrival, fire crews found smoke and fire coming out of the structure. Crews said they could see the fire from the city of Douglass, about a mile and a half away.
Blowing embers then started a grass fire that burned about 15-20 acres and stretched about a half mile in length. An abandoned vehicle and storage shed on a nearby property were lost in the fire.
"I'm thankful that nobody was in the house 'cause there's always somebody out here. There's always kids out here," said Samantha Harris, family member.
Fire investigators are still determining what may have started the fire.
The home was not insured. The American Red Cross has been called in to assist the family.