Family Upset After 3-Year-Old Is Left On Bus

By: Lily Wu - Email
By: Lily Wu - Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Thursday, January 5, 2012

The family of a 3-year-old is upset because their child was left behind on a school bus for two hours.

"Sorry can't cut the fact that your child was left on a bus for two hours and fifteen minutes," said Jessica Randall, the child's mother.

Chance Randall is a happy 3-year-old today, but on Wednesday morning, he was left in tears after being left behind on the bus, buckled into a child's seat.

"Beyond the stage of crying, I was just very angry," Randall said. "I just couldn't see how a little child could be left on a bus that long."

Chance attends Rose Hill Primary School and is in the early education program. His parents received a phone call nearly an hour and a half after school started Wednesday. The message informed them that their child was not in class, but the boy's parents remembered leaving him at the daycare before school without any problems.

"This was his first day taking it to school, so I already had the little nervous qualms about stuff. You get the phone call and you think, 'This is not happening,'" said Randall.

Chance's grandmother saw him get on the bus around 8:45 on Wednesday morning. She was the first person to find Chance just before 11:00 in the bus parking lot.

"She just said that he was sitting there already passed the point of having cried. For how long? We don't know," said Randall.

After reviewing past statutes, Rose Hill Police said there was no criminal liability in this case, but a situation to remind caretakers to check twice.

"This had to be a terrifying situation for that child," said Police Chief Bob Sage. "There is no more innocence than a young child and nobody more vulnerable. Adults just need to be aware of that and be careful every time."

The parents were thankful Chance was not harmed, but they were still angered by the situation.

"It wasn't intentionally done but the matter of the fact is that, it's a 3-year-old who is left on a bus by himself for two hours," said Randall.

Rose Hill School Superintendent, Randal Chickadonz spoke to KAKE News on the phone. He said procedures are in place to keep this from happening in the future. He says the bus aide was supposed to make a final check at the end of the route. The individual who did not follow the procedure has been let go.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136786293 -