KAKE - Find It - Thursday Headlines

Discarded Cigarette Blamed For East Wichita Apartment Fire

By: Lily Wu - Email
By: Lily Wu - Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Update: Thursday, August 25, 2011

A discarded cigarette is blamed for heavy damage to an east Wichita apartment complex, a Wichita Fire Department spokeswoman said late Thursday. The cigarette had been discarded in a plastic bucket outside on an apartment balcony.

Damage to the structure of the High Point East Apartments at 9400 E. Lincoln has been estimated to be about $500,000 with damage to the contents, about $250,000.

-------------
Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fire crews continue to monitor the fire that has left at least 20 families without a home tonight.

Crews were called to the High Point East Apartments at 9400 E. Lincoln after 3:00 p.m.

At least two alarms were sounded on the fire, sending more firefighters to the scene.

Fire investigators said a passerby spotted the fire and called 911. It appears the fire started on a balcony and spread to the building's attic and roof.

Two people were treated for minor injuries and at least 20 residents have been displaced.

Firefighters went to a defensive mode, meaning all fire crews had to leave the building because the structure was unsafe. This also protected against flames spreading to nearby buildings.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128412098 - kake.com/a?a=128412098