Sunday, January 20, 2013
It's National Radon Awareness month and Kansas homeowners are being urged to test for high radon levels.
Radon is a radioactive gas and the second leading cause of lung cancer. According to a map from the Environmental Protection Agency, Kansas homeowners could be at a greater risk.
You're greatest chance for exposure to radon gas is at home. Radon gas is caused by decaying uranium that's in the ground. That gas can make it's way up through your house where you and your family breath it in.
After months of searching, Derek and Whitney Horn finally found their dream home in November.
"It just kind of spoke to us,” Derek Horn said.
But before they moved in, their real estate agent told them to get the house tested for high radon levels.
“And we found out that we did have high levels. I know personally we were like wow this is scary but the person who lives here (now) might not even know; who's been living here for quite a while,” Horn said.
David Dockers with air capitol radon says radon can be found in any home, new or old.
“The only way to know if you have radon gas, it's an odorless, sightless tasteless gas, the only way to know is tests,” Dockers said.
According to a map from the Environmental Protection Agency, homeowners in Kansas are at a greater risk of having high radon levels. The majority of Kansas counties are listed as having “highest potential” for radon gas.
“One in four homes in Sedgwick County have elevated levels of radon," Dockers said.
Dockers says if your home has high radon levels, your best bet is a radon mitigation device. Basically it pumps the air from underneath your home, up and away from your house.
The Horns tell us the price of the radon test was well worth their peace of mind.
"We're kind of stress free on that point now we can worry about other stuff,” Dockers said.
You can actually, test your home yourself. You can pick up a at the Sedwick County extension office for about eight dollars.
The test comes in a prepaid mailer. All you have to do is hang it in the lowest level of your home for a few days, then seal it back up, mail it in, and wait for your results.