Udall Family Homeless Following House Fire

By: Alicia Myers Email
By: Alicia Myers Email
Donations Accepted At:

Starbird's Collision Experts
2142 N. Nelson Drive
Derby, KS 67037

316.788.0978

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Monday, March 14, 2011

Eric Blassingame's girlfriend was in the back bedroom of their rented home, feeding the couple's daughter, when she smelled smoke.

Blassingame said he headed toward the office door, opened it, and smoke was rolling in from the garage.

"I shut the door, went into the back bedroom and got my daughter," said Blassingame.

22-year-old Blassingame, his girlfriend Blynn, and their 6-month old daughter, Addison, rushed next door to his brother's house.

"He grabbed a flashlight, and we came back to check on my dogs. The fire had already gotten too big," said Blassingame.

Blassingame's two pit bulls were in the garage and did not survive the fire.

"It's like I lost a couple of my little girls. I had had them both since they were itty bitty puppies," said Blassingame.

Cowley County Fire Chief Randy Hoffman said the fire started in the garage, and was electrical in nature.

"Everything's pretty much smoke damaged. They said the inside was around 1,000 degrees. Everything melted on the walls. They had to bust out all the windows to try to get all the smoke out," said Blassingame.

Nearly everything the couple owned was ruined by fire and smoke. The family was left without much more than the clothes on their backs.

"I guess I took it for granted, everything we had. All the nice things. Definitely not what you would expect. You don't expect it to happen to you, but when it does, I guess you just have to be thankful that you're still here to talk about it," said Blassingame.

The family did not have renters insurance.

Donations are being accepted at Starbird's Collision Experts in Derby.

----------------

March 13, 2011

A Udall family is picking up the pieces after an early morning fire destroys their home.

Just after 7:30 Sunday morning, firefighters were called to a house fire in the 400 Block of Clark in Udall.

The family in the home said they had just got out of bed to feed their baby when they could smell smoke. When they searched the home, they found smoke coming from the garage, and evacuated.

Cowley County Fire District 4 Chief Randy Hoffman said the fire started in the garage, and was electrical in nature.

The home is a total loss with $40,000 in damage to the structure and its contents.

No one was hurt in the fire. Two family pit bulls died in the fire, and were found in the garage.

Click the link below to be directed to the family's facebook page.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117902914